Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Reminiscence

Time passes so fast, I have finished my first year engineering course in Singapore Nanyang Technological University. Next year going to stream into electric and electronic engineering, hopefully..haha.

Before coming to Singapore, everyone is saying how realistic and selfish singaporeans are, and how "kiashu" they are. But after staying here for about 1 year, my perspective towards singaporean totally changes. It is undeniably that singapore is a busy , face-paced country with a lot of foreign talents "imported", so the life there is more competitive and challenging. In order to survive in such situation, everyone needs to strive harder to be more outstanding than the others because only the strong can survive. It sounds cruel but i think this is how our reality is. You can't avoid it but only to accept it with a novel view. This competitive and striving situation make singaporean to be famous for their "kiashu" syndrome. Anyway, in my perspective it is a healthy lifestyle which can make everyone to work harder and motivate to upgrade self rather than waiting for special benefit. It sometime may bring certain level of stress to me but if can cope with it wisely, it is a drive for me to work harder.

I still recall three years ago when a prophet prophesize to me that in future i will go singapore to develop and this comes true. I may say this coming to singapore is not just simply by luck but is God's will for me. That's why i feel quite comfortable and can engaged the local culture well in a very short time. Here i meet a lot of new friends especially singaporeans who are really nice and friendly, which is out of my expectation. Hui, Steven, Eric ,Melisa, Diana are some of my clique in NTU, who always help me in study and go for outing. With them my life in NTU is colourful, not just only study, study, and study..

One year of struggle in University really carve me to become more independently and tougher, not only in the sense of living skills and thinking but also mentally and emotionally. I know how to deal with interpersonal skills better and to decide my own direction and target. For example ,when i face certain obstacle, i will consult somebody for advice but not to believe him thoroughly, because it may be subjective. Like the professor in the University always persuade students to stream to his own incharged programmes without considering students' talents and interests. For me this kind of professor is just interest in his own benefit but not students' and more importantly this kind of act may affect a student's future!!! Hence whenever i consult professor about certain courses, I will just ignore his persuasion but just listen to the information that i need. This is what my so-called being independent in thinking and making decision .

Because of the situation "Only the strong can survive", I always need to find a way to survive myself, not only academically, but also in many other aspects , by hook or by crook. For example the hostel accomodation. Each student need to have certain level of commitment in the university to be offered a hostel room to stay. As staying in hostel is far much cheaper than renting the room outside the university,everyone especially foreign students need to get a room, in order to "survive". So i involve myself in designing website with my roomate for my hall of residence. Although the process is quite tough but anyway i enjoy it because of the knowledge i gain.

ha.. 3 more years to go.. Hopefully the economic has already recovered by the time i graduate. Anyway still a lot of barriers ahead of me , I always telling myself to be optimistic and do whatever i can. " I am who I am..", i dont need to follow or imitate others but to recognize my own strength and talents. I am optimistic towards my career, and lastly send you friends a meaningful quotation : "Your attitude determines your altitude " BON VOYAGE !! Happy reading :)

No comments: